PEL is the premier public policy think tank for local and state government issues in Pennsylvania. We have offered a non-partisan approach to public policy research and local government technical assistance since 1936. Our fact-based conclusions and practical recommendations are based on qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
We operate from offices in Harrisburg and Wilkes-Barre with affiliates in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, giving us a statewide perspective.
Our clients range from state and local governments to foundations, municipal associations, business groups, non-profit economic and community development organizations and similar groups that are seeking fact-based insight.
Does Your Municipality Need Planning?
- Stagnate revenues not meeting rising costs
- No money for maintenance and repairs
- Outdated systems and technologies
- Operations and staffing concerns
- Changeover in municipal leadership
Save Money, Save Time … Plan Now with STMP
- The Strategic Management Planning Program (STMP) provides state matching grants to all types and sizes of local governments.
- Our STMP reports give a comprehensive, proactive review of finances and operations.
- We provide wide ranging recommendations from improvements to financial management practices, policies and procedures, and technology upgrades to suggestions for tax policies, asset management, collective bargaining, economic and community development, intergovernmental cooperation and more.
- PEL’s municipal STMP clients have received hundreds of thousands in subsequent grant money for implementation of STMP recommendations in a wide range of areas.
We Can Help. Get the Pennsylvania Economy League Advantage.
- Our team members have decades of real-world experience in local government working in areas including administration, finance, technology, planning, communications, law and more.
- We are proficient in municipal financial condition assessment, operation reviews, long-range planning, economic and community development, debt management and capital markets access, financial trend analysis and fiscal planning, among other skills.
- Our team members have worked for the Department of Community and Economic Development, the state Local Government Commission, county and municipal governments, and various private industry.
- In just the last 10 years, we have aided dozens of cities, boroughs and townships serving over a half million residents through expert financial and operational reviews that warn of likely deficits, expose problem areas and propose recommendations that are based on past experience and current trends.
- Over 100 school districts throughout the state have used PEL for services such as enrollment projections, collective bargaining fact finding and more.
- We have examined municipal distress, CDBG reform, intergovernmental services, state transportation issues, impediments to municipal and school district mergers, the effectiveness of state programs, regional policing, taxation reform, the impacts of policy changes on schools and local governments and more. Contact us today!